Once the asphalt is repaired and cleaned, you are ready to seal. DON'T SEAL OVER PROBLEMS! Apply only if weather is clear and dry – do not apply when rain or fog is forecasted. Also, do not apply very late in the day. For best results both surface and air temperature should be above 55°F and rising for proper adhesion.
- Use the proper tools! Visit our products page to determine right equipment for the task at hand.
- Use Super Seal™ products on asphalt driveways only – no concrete.
- Wait at least 6 months after paving before sealing your driveway.
- Use water to remove wet sealer.
- Use a high performance cleaner containing citrus to remove dry sealer.
- Determine the required amount of product. For more accurate estimates, try our on-line sealer calculator!
- Flip the pails over the night prior to sealing so an easy quick mix awaits you the next day.
- Break in the squeegee to ensure flexibility for optimal application.
- Apply early in the morning, when the asphalt temp is cooler, to prevent the coating from drying too quickly and thickening.
- You can edge the driveway with a brush so that when you seal with the squeegee you will have a professional looking result.
- Keep the bead wet on the asphalt as you continue to next pail (which you have spaced down the driveway so you don’t have to stop and walk to get the next pail!).
- Complete the project in one session – avoid starting and stopping to prevent color shading.
- To ensure a thin coat (especially on porous asphalt), apply consistent down pressure on squeegee.
- In the hot summer months, when you first drive on the fully cured driveway, keep your wheels moving when turning to decrease the likelihood of tire marks during the first few days after sealing.
It’s good idea to flip over the pail at least 24 hours prior to using the product. Carefully inspect the lid to be sure it is secure before turning it over. "Batch" or "box" the pails by having an empty bucket there and mixing them all back and forth. This will ensure uniform consistency. Premix 1/2 of the pails you expect to use then mix additional pails as needed. Keep the mixed pails covered as you work. Normally, pails will only need a quick mix.
If the asphalt temperature is extremely hot, you should mist the area to be sealed. Start at the end of the driveway farthest from the street (approximately 2’ out). Apply a fine mist of water to lightly dampen the pavement. Leave no standing puddles of water. Apply sealer to the dampened pavement. Re-mist as needed.
Start by pouring a ribbon of sealer across the width of the driveway about 2’ from the end of the garage or house in a snake-like, side to side pattern.
Once you've poured a bead across the driveway, use the Super Seal™ 18” Driveway Applicator to pull the sealer back and forth, in a crescent moon shape, across the driveway starting near your house and working down towards the street. Maintain a wet bead or edge to avoid streak marks. Drag the applicator back and forth – do not push. Apply even, consistent pressure to leave a thin coat. Two thin coats are better than one thick coat (make sure 1st coat has set up / fully dried prior to applying 2nd coat). As more sealer is required, pour it next to where you left off to slightly overlap the area, maintaining a wet bead or edge to avoid streak marks. Complete sealing effort in one day without stopping to avoid your driveway sealer curing at a different rate, which could result in different shades of color.
Block off the driveway to car traffic with the empty pails and stay off the driveway for a period of 24-48 hours. On a nice day you should be able to walk on the driveway after 2-4 hours. The sealer may take longer to cure if it is humid.
All Super Seal™ products are water-based formulas making clean up quick and easy. Simply clean tools and empty buckets with soap and water immediately after use. If it has dried you can use any cleaner that contains citrus. Buckets can then be used for gardening, fishing, car washing, and hobbies. Store sealing products upside down in a dry place where they will not freeze.